Monday, August 8, 2022

FIGHT THE FADE

 “FIGHT THE FADE”

Getting unexpected good news today

I raised my heart and hands in gratitude

Loving that good news, loving that elation

I’d love for it to linger longer

That feeling of Yes

And linger it will 

     for awhile.


Even before the sun set,

Feeling the fading,

Old grumbling returning

Gratitude shrinking

Pettiness rising


What is it about me?

What is it about us?

Why wouldn’t I choose

To stay in the land of Thank You

Why does my spirit (and body) 

Bend towards grumpiness?


No, it’s not the fading of the light,

That ancient and ever contemporary story 

Of the epic scale and fail

It’s rather the mere and more mundane

Daily fight against the fading

Fading of Thank You, 

Fading of attitude of gratitude


I’d be grateful to find that place –

Take me there –

That daily noticing of the birds and the bees

That taking time to say Yes

To send up praises at dawn and dusk.


Nibs Stroupe August 6, 2022


No comments:

Post a Comment